5 Steps to switching your energy
If you are, like many people, a bit baffled by the whole process of switching energy supplier, we at Incahoot have put together a 5 step check list to guide you through, and help you save money this winter!
What you will need to switch energy suppliers…
- Your new supply address
- Your bank account details
- Your existing suppliers contact details
- Your ‘Supply number’ also known as MPAN and MPRN
The five steps to switching
- Calculate how much you could save on your energy bills using our Savings Calculator and select the deal that best suits you. Complete the online sign up form including your ‘Supply number’. Duration 1 day.
Wait for your confirmation email to arrive and enter the ‘cooling off period’ . You will receive your welcome pack from your new supplier at the end of this time. Duration 7 - 10 days.
Sit tight, as it takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks for the switch to take place, at the end of this time your new supplier will request your meter readings. Duration 28 - 42 days.
Submit your meter readings to your new supplier. Duration 1 day.
The switch is complete, with no disruption to your service and more money in your pocket! Total duration for switching 37 - 54 days (5 - 8 weeks).
Incahoot also recommends…
- To speed up the whole process and ensure smooth switching, contact both the new and old suppliers with your final meter readings.
- Settle any outstanding payments with your old supplier and the contact your bank and make sure that once this final payment has been made you cancel all relevant Direct Debits to them.
- During this process you will receive a fair amount of correspondence from both your new and old suppliers – keep this somewhere safe so that you can refer back to it should any queries arise!
- Will my new supplier tell my current supplier that I’m switching?
Yes, this will be done for you with no loss of supply to your home during the transition period.
- What happens if I am already in a contract?
Depending on the type of contract you have with your current supplier depends on the notice period that you need to give.
You can get useful advice here .
- Altogether how long will it take to switch?
It normally takes between 5 and 8 weeks to complete the switch.